Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday Tip

It's been surprising lately how often I'm reminding people to use the library as a resource, mostly via Facebook, of all places.  In the last month, here are a few of the questions/pleas I've gotten:

Q: "There are all these books I want to read but I don't want to pay for them/don't want to wait to have them shipped!" 

A: Call your local library!  Many of the titles will be available already, and those that aren't can be requested for purchase or held for you when they're available.  Best part?  No money needs to change hands unless your books are late, and even then, fines are generally cheaper than just shipping from Amazon or B&N!

Q: "I don't know how to do this!  I have to learn about a new subject, and I'm totally overwhelmed!" 

A: Take a trip to your library.  From books on learning a new craft, to subject matter for classes, to a quick brush-up on old skills, there are tons of resources available at the library.  The bonus here is that you can browse through a number of books in person, and choose just those that will be the most helpful for your particular needs.  Still stumped?  Ask a reference librarian, and they'll help you find just what you're looking for.

Q: "Does anyone know how to X?  Does anyone know where to find Y?" 

A: Who would you trust to answer your questions?  A poll of people you play Farmville with?  Or someone whose job it is, all day every day, to find correct information for people? 


Q: "I Google-d it, but I got 4 billion results!  I have no idea where to start!"

A: As Neil Gaiman once said,  “Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.”  


Tuesday's Tip?  If you need information, check in with your library, stop in, email, or call.  We're here to help!

No comments: