Thursday, November 7, 2013

Reading Ahead: December 2013, part 1

I hate to be the bearer of tidings of great joy, but yes, I'm going to talk about December.  The good news, if there is some, is that I waited two extra days to do this post.  The bad news is, I'm still going to talk about December.  The better news?  At least I'm only talking about books!  (As opposed to shopping, wrapping, traveling, decorating, cleaning, hosting, cooking, organizing, and being nice to your relatives.  See!  Aren't you glad I'm not talking about any of that?  Me, too!)

However, since December tends to be a rather busy season for many, publishers have wised up a bit and aren't pummeling readers with a deluge of new books.  Instead, it seems they've saved just enough of the heavy-hitters to make sure there's a gift out there for every reader on your list.  Ready to get started?  Me, too!




Hazardous Duty, by WEB Griffin & William E. Butterworth IV

The Death Trade, by Jack Higgins

Command Authority, by Tom Clancy with Mark Greaney

The Gods of Guilt, by Michael Connelly


Each of these is worthy of note in its own way, but the two in particular I would like to draw attention to are the last two titles in my little list.  Command Authority is the late Tom Clancy's final novel, and one that features hero Jack Ryan as President of the United States--if you've been a Clancy fan, you do not want to let this one pass you by.  Second is the new offering by Michael Connelly, The Gods of Guilt.  Connelly's appeal is wide and his following growing exponentially with each new book.  I expect more of the same results with this new novel, in which defense attorney Mickey Haller returns to right wrongs and confront ghosts from his dark and haunted past.  I guarantee the suspense-reader on your list will want to unwrap this one!

No comments: