Thursday, August 21, 2014

Reading Ahead: September 2014, part 5

September seems to be overflowing with great reading material (and I haven't even gotten to my list of picks!), so if you're at a loss for something to read, there's hope just a few short weeks away. (Sorry, I know, but librarians are always looking at least a few weeks ahead. I can't help it.) Here are a few contemporary titles to tempt you.




Stone Mattress: Nine Tales, by Margaret Atwood. Atwood has been a favorite of mine for many years, and she hasn't disappointed me yet. And since reviewers are calling this "vintage Atwood...think Alias Grace", I'm more than a little intrigued. Short stories are also perfect for this time of year--there's something delicious in the accomplishment of reading a story in a single evening. This collection, her first in nearly a decade, is full of acute psychological insight and turbulent interpersonal relationships. I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

The Children Act, by Ian McEwan. Fiona is a High Court judge presiding over family court in London, well-versed in her particular field of law. Professionally, she is hard-working, brilliant and successful, but personally, she is unraveling as her marriage crumbles. A particularly complicated case involving the welfare of a teenager whose family's religious beliefs conflict with his medical needs gives Fiona a way to lose herself in her work, but only for so long. I'm a fan of McEwan's writing style--there's a reason he's won so many awards--so this will likely be on my to-read list in the future.

Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, by Jan Karon. Karon's Mitford novels have been a mainstay for readers for decades. Now she brings readers a new tale in Mitford, as Father Timothy returns from his long post-retirement travels and finds himself at a loss for how he fits into the fabric of his community. Indeed, he finds Mitford has changed while he was away and must wonder: does the Mitford he remembers still exist? Does it still take care of its own? Fans will definitely need to pick this up.

I'll be back next week with a list of my picks for September releases, as well as catching up with what I've been reading. Enjoy a book this weekend!

No comments: