Thursday, October 22, 2015

Can't Keep It To Myself: The Girl With All the Gifts

It's that time of year when I, for one, like to read something guaranteed to scare me into staying up late with the lights on. If you're like me, you might consider picking up what I've just finished: The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. This came out in 2014, and while it was on my radar, it somehow didn't make it into my hands until a friend reminded me of it last month. I'm glad she did, because it is one of the most interesting, yet terrifying novels I've read in recent memory.

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her "our little genius." Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh. She is among some very gifted children, but some gifts are more curse than blessing. And sometimes humans are more terrifying than than monsters.

I'm recommending this in particular to fans of shows like Z-Nation or The Walking Dead, and books like World War Z (also a movie with Brad Pitt) and The Strain. I read it in two days, because I couldn't sleep until I found out what happened. Very highly recommended for those who feel the need for a good scare.

In need of another good, scary read? Stop by the library between now and Halloween--we have a large display of horror novels for your terrified pleasure, classics to modern scare-masters. Or check out some of my past lists of creepy recommendations!

No comments: