Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Can't keep it to myself: Me Before You

Jojo Moyes made a bit of a splash a couple of years ago with The Last Letter from Your Lover, about a woman who, after a car accident, suffers amnesia about the day she was going to leave her husband for a mysterious lover.  With Me Before You, she has made an even bigger splash, and one every bit as deserving.

I finished this novel a few weeks ago, and I honestly had to give myself a few weeks before I trusted myself to write about it.  You can tell from the blog just how much reading I do, so please trust me when I say that I found this novel to be possibly one of the most moving works of fiction I have ever read.  I laughed, I cried, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next, I never wanted to reach the last page.

When Louisa Clark meets Will Traynor, she is completely ordinary--a long-term relationship with her boyfriend, a cramped family life, and is making her way through some awful dead-end jobs after the cafe she worked in closed.  Lou has hardly traveled further than the end of her road.  Will, her new employer, used to spend his days dashing between running a successful business, dating a gorgeous woman, and traveling the world to sky-dive and snorkel.  Until, that is, an accident leaves him permanently in a wheel chair, moody, depressed and closed off from the world. 

I don't want to spoil a single thing for you, but in this novel of hope, love, happiness and heartbreak, Moyes totally swept me up in the stories of these two characters.  I highly recommend you let her do the same to you.

No comments: