Thursday, June 20, 2013

Three on Thursday: Get your summer reading started!

So, technically tomorrow is the first day of summer.  Given that the pool water is a brisk 52 degrees and we've gotten an epic amount of rain in the last few weeks, you may be wondering if I'm pulling your leg.  I assure you, summer is officially starting tomorrow, whatever the weather.  If you've got a little time off coming your way in the coming months, I've got a few recommendations.

If you're looking to read what everyone else is reading this summer:

Read And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini.  I know, I just reviewed it earlier this week.  But I can't say enough good things about it.  And I guarantee, this is going to be one of the big fiction titles that everyone will be talking about all summer. 


My prediction for this summer's sleeper hit:

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls, by Anton DiSclafani.  I gave a preview of this title last month, and I'm sticking to my guns.  In fact, it's on my vacation reading list!  I'll be back next week with a full review.


If you prefer non-fiction:

Hitchhiking with Larry David, by Paul Samuel Dolman.  After a painful breakup, a man turns accidental tourist and hitchhikes around Martha's Vineyard, meeting many interesting characters in the process.  Among these chance encounters is actor Larry David, with whom the author forges a unique friendship.  Funny and moving, this should be a great escape for some summer reading.


I'll be back next week with more summer-centric reads, as well as catching up on what I've been reading.  In the meantime, happy reading!

No comments: