Thursday, September 22, 2011

What I read on my summer vacation, part 2

Picking up where I left off on Tuesday, here is the rest of what I read over the summer!

Growing Up Amish, by Ira Wagler.  I went to college near a large Amish community in upstate New York, and ever since, I've been fascinated with the Amish.  I found Wagler's memoir moving and insightful.

Bag of Bones, by Stephen King.  This is a re-read for me, or rather, a re-listen.  I adore the audio version of this book, read by King himself.  One of my all-time favorites--it was like revisiting dear old friends. 

A Feast for Crows, by George R.R. Martin.  Yes, the series really is that good--I can't wait to find out what happens, and the wait for book six just may kill me!

The Snowman, by Jo Nesbo.  I've mentioned this title several times on the blog over the summer, and it really is that good.  All the reviews were right!

The Best of Times, by Penny Vincenzi.  This was my book club's choice for our September meeting (we skip August every year).  I knew that there would be plenty to discuss, and I really enjoyed it!


Finally, here's what I have on my list of "can't wait to reads" for this fall!

The Favored Queen, by Carolly Erickson.  This is about Jane Seymour, third wife of Henry VIII.  It's no secret that I'm a total Tudor England buff, so this is right up my alley!

The Cat's Table, by Michael Ondaatje.  Ondaatje also wrote The English Patient, and this is his first publication in four years.  There's lots of critical buzz about this one, and I'm eager to see if they're right.

The Night Eternal, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  The third in this modern take on vampire lore comes out soon.  The first two have been hugely creepy, as only del Toro (writer and director of Pan's Labyrinth, among other things) can do it, so I'm really interested to see how the story ends.

The Marriage Plot, by Jeffrey Eugenides.  I am a huge fan of Eugenides (The Virgin Suicides, Middlesex), so I have been waiting for this one with baited breath.  Just a little longer now!


My question to you is:  What are you most looking forward to reading this fall?

Leave your answer in the comments!


No comments: