Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's (Reading) Resolutions

Happy 2012!  I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year.  Here at the library, new books are coming in fast and furious.  Interested in what titles are coming to the shelves in January?  Check back through these posts--there will be lots to choose from in the coming weeks!

In the first days of the new year, resolutions and changes are on everyone's minds.  A new year means a fresh start, and a chance to do things differently.  I'm all about reasonable resolutions, though.  There's no point in setting myself up for failure, right?  Just, you know, give myself a little nudge to do things differently, better.

One thing I want to do better this year is read more broadly.  I read across most fiction genres usually, but my non-fiction reading tends to be few and far between.  I'm going to make a concerted effort to read more non-fiction this year (and no just cookbooks and crafting titles!).

A few years ago, I took part in two separate reading challenges.  One was to read (and finish) 50 books in a year.  The other was to read 15,000 pages in a year (which averages to finishing one 300 page book per week).  I liked having a challenge to meet, even as I was doing something I loved anyway.  I think it challenged me to read more, certainly.  And since I've mentioned recently that I haven't felt like I've been reading enough, I think I'm going to set these goals for myself for 2012, and see how this pans out.  I'll run a monthly update post, to keep it easy to track.  Anyone else want to join me?

What about you?  What are your reading resolutions for the new year?  More non-fiction?  More best-sellers?  Read more with your kids?  I'd love to know!

No comments: