Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Crimson Petal and the White

Way back in 2002, there was a debut novel written by Michael Faber called The Crimson Petal and the White.  Set in 1870's London, a prostitute finds wealth and power, if not happiness, after becoming the mistress of a powerful patriarch.  The novel received great critical acclaim.  It was beloved by many a reader, myself included, and a darling of book clubs everywhere.  There were some talks of film adaptation.  And then it slowly faded from the minds of readers as new titles came to the fore.

Imagine my shock and awe when I chanced upon a commercial over the weekend for an Encore miniseries in September based on The Crimson Petal and the White.  It was apparently made and released in the UK last year, and now Encore has picked it up.  Notable among the cast is Gillian Anderson, of X-Files fame.

Now, I'm not always a huge fan of film/television adaptations.  Some are popular despite huge departures (True Blood), some are really phenomenal (Game of Thrones, The Help).  I'm not sure where this particular miniseries will fall, but I'm really eager to find out!

No comments: